Block Haulage in Portsmouth

International Licenses & Permits

Every UK-based brick haulage company operating vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 3.5 tonnes on international journeys must have the correct licenses and permits. Here at Steward Transport, we recognise that our clients in Portsmouth looking to send materials into Europe and beyond need a reliable and legal block haulage company that can deliver in a swift and efficient manner. As such, we ensure that our documentation for international road haulage remains up-to-date and in full compliance with the required legislation.

These requirements differ depending on which countries we travel to or through in order to reach our destination. As a time-served brick haulage company, we easily adapt to any need.

Below, we have outlined some of the licenses and permits that we possess in order to keep our Portsmouth clients’ goods moving internationally.

If you have any queries regarding international road haulage, please contact us.

Licenses & Permits for International Road Haulage

1. Vehicle Operator Licenses

First and foremost, as a block haulage company we must hold a standard international vehicle operator license. This allows us to transport our own goods and other people’s in the UK and internationally. This license applies to any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that exceeds 3.5 tonnes.

Any brick haulage company issued with this international license may also request an EU Community License, a further permit required for all road haulage operations in or through EU nations. We will take a look at these in more detail below.

In order to apply for a vehicle operator license, we need to meet certain criteria, including: advertising our application, advertising our proposed operating centres, designating a transport manager, providing information regarding our financial situation and the drawing up of a maintenance contract with garage to carry out safety inspections and repairs.

Our clients in Portsmouth can rest assured that, as a reputable block haulage company, we follow the application to the letter. Minimising delays in the application stage eliminates delays in the road haulage process.

Finally, we must also prove that our drivers have the relevant qualifications to legally undertake their job. This includes the professional driving qualification called the CPC (the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence).

2. EU Community Licenses

As mentioned above, in order to make an international journey within the EU, a brick haulage company must have a Community License to supplement their standard international vehicle operator license.

With a Community License, our drivers can use a single permit for trips between all EU nations. What’s more, this license also allows for transit traffic to and from non-EU member states. Quite simply, with the relevant documentation, we keep the goods of our Portsmouth clients moving in as swift a manner as possible.

While the majority of international road haulage regulations have been harmonised due to the single market, Community Licenses also have validity with the four member states of the EFTA (European Free Trade Association), namely Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. These nations are also members of the EEA (European Economic Area).

While many EU regulations apply in EEA countries, in some cases local laws overrule them. Regardless of the situation at hand, Steward Transport works on behalf of our clients in Portsmouth to ensure that deliveries can be made without a hitch.

We apply for our Community License through a simple process open to those already in possession of a standard international vehicle operator license. We receive an office copy of the license, ensuring that it remains in our primary office at all times should enforcement agencies need to inspect it. In addition, we keep certified copies in each vehicle in our road haulage fleet.

If you’re a Portsmouth-based company with any further questions regarding our international operations as a block haulage company, please call 01892 835 067.


01892 835067

Durrants Farm,
Maidstone Road,
Paddock Wood,
Kent TN12 6QN